lørdag 18. oktober 2014

The Immigration

Hey, sorry for not blogging the past two weeks, I’ve been so busy traveling around that I’ve just forgotten it. However, today I’m here, just got back to my hotelroom in NY after spending the day on Ellis Island and seeing the Statue of Liberty. So now I’m really in the mood to write about the Immigration, let’s start!
So, the immigration is divided into four waves: I thought I could talk about the wave that lasted from 1870-1920. This is called the second wave and the immigrants were Germans, British, Irish, Scandinavian, Other Central European, Italian and Eastern European. Roughly 26 million immigrant arrived in the United States, which I think is really much. It represented over 12% of the national population. It started to get too many immigrants, so Ellis Island opened in 1892. Ellis Island was the gateway for millions of immigrants, everyone had to get through Ellis Island for immigrating to the US.  It was a great change, as arrivals from northern and western Europe, Germany, Ireland, Britain and the Scandinavian countries slowed, it didn’t came as many as it earlier had. Seven hundred immigrants passed through Ellis Island the first day, and nearly 450 000 followed over the course of that year. This was not as much as it had been before. Ellis Island was the first.

It’s natural for me to talk about the Norwegians immigrants since I’m from Norway. So many Norwegians immigrated at this time (the second wave) to the Midwest, drawn by the promise of free land. The first immigrants from Norway came with the ship “Restauration” in 1825, the ship sailed from Stavanger to New York with 52 immigrants. In the years 1825-1925, about 800 000 Norwegians emigrated. There were three waves of Norwegians Immigrants: the first wave happened in the second half of the 1860s, the second wave happened early in the 1880s and the third wave took place in the years around 1905.

This was all I wanted to write about today, it’s just soooo much I couldn’t take it all, so I took what I taught was fun. I really wanted to write about all the rules that have been used, like I read on a sign today that at one time, Asians weren’t allowed and rules like that. But I couldn’t find any good sources… I had a really good time today and looking forward to next week when I’m going to have the chance to see a place where it actually have been slaves living. I don’t remember exactly where it is, but I think it could get really fun kinda… See you later, Goodbye!

Nora

Sources:
http://www.preceden.com/timelines/29989-waves-of-immigration-in-america
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States
http://ndla.no/en/node/50210
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/22/1188522/-US-Since-1865-The-Second-Wave-of-Immigration-1870-1900-and-the-Reactions-to-it
http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsk_utvandring_til_Amerika

1 kommentar:

  1. Fint at du forklarer hvorfor du velger bare en av bølgene:) Savner en slags samlet "tabell" for hvor mange som har immigrert, f.eks generelle tall over periodene. Fine bilder :)

    SvarSlett